Can I file bankruptcy on this civil suit to absolve the debt? What can I do, what are my options?

Asked over 1 year ago - Toms River, NJ

I was sued in 2009 in civil court for assault. A default judgment was passed on me (Without my knowledge). There was no criminal charges or even questioning for the same incident. If they try to collect and I file bankruptcy will it absolve the debt? I am not sure if the exact term on the default judgment was assault or not but I know it has to with a fight that took place in 2007. Also, if I live in another state than the judgment is it still as easy to collect? What can I do? I hate having to hide my assets over a ridiculous thing. I need to some help! Also, they settled for a lesser amount and time passed. When I went to give them that amount that declined it. No counter offer, nothing. I need advice.

1. Leonard Roy Boyer

Pro

2

Answered . You need to consult with a local bankruptcy attorney and bring all documents pertaining to this to that attorney. Good luck.

2. David John Hastings

3

Answered . It sounds like the debt was for an intentional tort, which is generally not dischargeable. However, you might want to take your documents to a local attorney to make sure. Once they look over your court papers they'll have a much better idea of exactly what the creditor can do, and what your options are to deal with it.

3. Dheeraj Kumar Singhal

2

Answered . These types of situations are generally very fact driven. You need to speak with a local bankruptcy attorney to get a better idea of your options.