Can I file bankruptcy and include the debt owned to the bail bond?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

Bonded family member out of jail and they left town now left with the debt, will have to file bankruptcy can I include the debt owed to the bails bond company in the bankruptcy? I also have a lean on my house now can I include the house in the bankruptcy or will I have to foreclose?

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . You must list all your debts.

The bond debt probably is dischargeable (depending on details we don't have).

Whether you keep the house depends on things such as the amount of equity, etc.

Discuss these with your lawyer. If you don't have one and need one, call me at 404-768-3509.

2. Peter Walter Weston

Pro

Answered . You are required to list the bail bond debt, if you file bankruptcy, as well as, all the property you own, which includes your house.

If you did not participate in falsely making a bail bond, or in causing the bail bond to default, it is likely you can keep the house, if you otherwise qualify for bankruptcy, and if the exemption available can apply to your house.

You should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney, to review these issues and your financial situation.