Skip to main content

Can I file bankruptcy and include the debt owned to the bail bond?

Atlanta, GA |

Bonded family member out of jail and they left town now left with the debt, will have to file bankruptcy can I include the debt owed to the bails bond company in the bankruptcy? I also have a lean on my house now can I include the house in the bankruptcy or will I have to foreclose?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You are required to list the bail bond debt, if you file bankruptcy, as well as, all the property you own, which includes your house.

If you did not participate in falsely making a bail bond, or in causing the bail bond to default, it is likely you can keep the house, if you otherwise qualify for bankruptcy, and if the exemption available can apply to your house.

You should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney, to review these issues and your financial situation.

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.


You must list all your debts.

The bond debt probably is dischargeable (depending on details we don't have).

Whether you keep the house depends on things such as the amount of equity, etc.

Discuss these with your lawyer. If you don't have one and need one, call me at 404-768-3509.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer