Can I file as self employed

Roslyn, NY |

I work for a Jewish family they will not pay on the books. I have been here for 9 months they are really great I want to file my taxes can I file self employed without using them 3 times a week i babysit at my house.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Jayson is brief but correct....failure on the part of your employer to abide by the law is not an for you not to report your income. Accordingly, you would file Schedule C and Schedule SE to report the income from your services as well as the self employment taxes on top.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

John P Corrigan

John P Corrigan

Sorry....not an excuse.....

Do they pay you in cash? It sounds like they are trying to evade the labor law. This is an open question.

Answers to questions posted on the AVVO website as well as content contained on The Sanders Firm, P.C., website is intended for informational purposes only. Nothing in such answers or the content contained on The Sanders Firm, P.C., website is to be considered as either creating an Attorney-Client relationship between the reader and The Sanders Firm, P.C., or as the rendering of legal advice for any specific matter. Readers are responsible for obtaining such legal advice in consultation with a licensed Attorney.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law