Can I file an unemployment claim if I quite my job with good cause? Are any of my reasons good cause?

Asked about 1 year ago - Union City, NJ

Have been employed with same company in NJ for 11 months. 1. My boss does not pay overtime after 40 hours per week. She is under the assumption over time is "deserved" after 80 hours per pay period, which is nearly impossible for me since we have unpaid lunch so I only do 35 hours and week and have to work an extra 10 hours in a pay period to even see overtime. 2. No fire extinguishers, exit signs, and minimal air conditioning. My team is getting heat exhaustion! 3. No ventilation from the neighboring warehouse who makes furniture. The dust and fumes blow in almost all the time! 4. I am a healthy 23 year old woman. Before starting this job I had no health issues, and now currently my doctor has warned me that my blood pressure is 157/98. Could I use these reasons to file unemployment?

1. Leonard Roy Boyer

Answered . You should contact the the HR dept. at your company to address your concerns first. If that fails, you should then put your complaints in writing, and you should also call local city government concerning the working conditions. You need to establish a paper trail for purposes of documentation. You should also consider retaining an attorney to act on your behalf. You have to prove a causal relationship between your job and the high blood pressure.

One or more answers have been taken down.