Can I file an interim contact order while await my custody going to court?

Asked 7 months ago - Roseburg, OR

If mother will not let me have contact with my child. Can I apply for an interim contact order form C100 to ensure my relationship with my child is not disrupted, pending a custodial court case?

1. Jay Bodzin

Answered . There are a couple of things you can do to get parenting time if you've filed a custody case but no judgment yet exists and you're waiting for a court date. If you've been seeing the child regularly for the majority of the previous three months, you can ask the court to issue a 'temporary protective order of restraint' that requires both parents to continue to follow the same schedule that the child has observed in that time. (I don't know if this is called a "form C100" by some courts; I've never heard that term. It's called a 'TPOR,' but many laypeople and lawyers incorrectly refer to these as 'status quo orders.' A status quo order is a real thing in child custody cases, and it's something else. Status quo orders are for when a judgment already exists.)

If you haven't been seeing the child regularly, you can still file a motion seeking a temporary order pending a final hearing. Depending on your court's schedule, it can still take a couple of months to get to that hearing, but it's better than nothing.

Note also that a major factor in custody decisions is the willingness of each parent to foster and encourage an ongoing relationship between the child and the other parent. If your co-parent has been refusing to allow you contact with the child, the court should take that into account, and make it clear to them that this can't continue.

Please read the following notice:

2. Joanne Reisman

Answered . I have no idea what you mean by form C100 - I would guess the AG's office that put forms online may have given the form a number. We lawyers make our own forms so we don't use numbers. What Mr. Bodzin mention, and TPOR (Temporary protective order of restraint) will keep a current pattern of visitation in place. But you also can seek an order for temporary parenting time pending the trial. You will need to contact the court and ask them what you need to do to get a short hearing - like 30 minutes - so you can ask for temporary visitation pending the final trial. The best thing to do when you are representing yourself and trying to save money is go down to the courthouse in person, talk to the family law clerk, tell them what you are trying to do, and see if they will give you some guidance. The next best thing is to spend a little money and talk to an attorney. (Talking to an attorney however is highly recommended. Please realize that you can pay an attorney just for an hour or two to advise you how to navigate the court system. It doesn't have to involve paying an expensive retainer.)