Can I file an assault charge if I wasn't the one who was assaulted?

Dalton, GA |

My sister was recently assaulted by a family member and has a black eye. She is scared to press charges. Can I press charges for her if I have pictures?

Doubt it. But you should save the pictures because it is not uncommon for victims of violent crime to be reluctant to come forward. If/when she has a change of heart, you all will need to swear out warrants at your local police department.

Best of luck,

S. Carlton Rouse, Esq.
Rouse & Co. LLC
www.rousecolaw.com

Comments provided by S.Carlton Rouse are not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. In addition, the answer provided was based upon the limited information provided online, as such, any opinion/suggestion/comment could likely change after consultation and/or further review of the facts/documentation. For adequate legal advise, you should contact a lawyer and have a detailed consultation.

While you do not have the proper standing to "demand" prosecution as a victim or guardian of the victim, you can always approach law enforcement and/or your locally elected prosecutor and report the crime. Crime reports are taken very seriously as the numbers are gathered and reported to national and state organizations that track societal issues. Domestic violence is one of the categories they pay particular attention to as it has become a major issue. I encourage you to assist your loved one in getting help from a counselor or mental health provider at a minimum. Many times I see underlying mental health issues that can contribute to domestic violence issues in this type of case, and those issues can lead to more serious incidents in the future if left un-addressed. Good luck!

Hey Look, A Disclaimer. And it is kind of witty. Kind of. To wit: Information Provided SHOULD NOT be relied upon as binding legal advice as no advice can be reliable unless a full review of all facts has been conducted. No attorney-client relationship exists unless there is a signed retainer between the parties. My Firm does not offer ANY tax advice. The Most Costly and Expensive Advice you will ever get is from a Cheap Lawyer. Do yourself a favor and interview several lawyers before choosing the one that works best for you. Remember, Bad Lawyers make all their money through marketing. Good Lawyers make all their money by winning cases.