Skip to main content

Can I file adverse possession?

Frost, TX |

Bought some property from my parents and never had the deed transferred . They are both deceased . Dad 20 yrs and mom 11 yrs . I have receipts showing i paid . Was told they won't show proof of ownership . Have paid property taxes for 10yrs . Lived in the house 11 years and on property for 40 yrs . My brother decided he wants part of it after saying nothing for 10 yrs . Can I file adverse possession to get him to stop ? If not , what are my other options ? Quite title ?

Forgot to mention I have the deed to the land in my possession. It was given to me the day before my father passed. We were to go get it done the morning he passed.

Attorney Answers 1


Adverse possession can be a complicated issue. In Texas there are several ways to prove adverse possession. Although I handle mostly criminal defense now, I have handled a lot of real estate litigation in my career. Many attorneys like myself offer free consultations. You need to spend some time consulting with an attorney regarding this case. You may call me of you wish.

Todd Steele's response to your question is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this response should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful




Thank you for responding to my question. Your Brownwood office is 140 miles West of me. Would be to far to travel for face to face consultation. Can/should it be done by phone?

Todd Bennett Steele

Todd Bennett Steele


We can certainly do it by phone. If you will give me your number, I can call you before the end of the weekend.



sent it in an email.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics