Can I file a will with the county on my own or do i need to hire an attorney?

El Paso, TX |

My grand father just passed away. He had a will made a while back. My mother is the executor and wants needs for testementary papers in order to get into an account of my grandfathers. When she called the probate court, they wouldnt answer any question and just told her to hire a probate attorney. Can we take care of this on our own with out dishing out the $1500 that they are going to chrage us? What exactly are the forms that need to be filed with the will besides the death certificate in order to file this with the courhouse. Thanks....

1. Most probate matters require hiring an attorney to proceed. You should contact a local probate attorney and simply ask if hiring an attorney is required for a probate estate - I would be surprised if the answer is no. It is not the attorney's choice, it is the rules of the Court that control what cases can be "pro se" (no attorney) and those that require an attorney.

Good luck

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Post is licensed to practice law in KS and MO. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply unsuitable. Mr. Post strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Wills and estates topics