Can I file a UM claim if I hit a pedestrian ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lake Worth, FL

I hit a pedestrian but am not at fault for the accident . I was injured as well and went to the hospital and started physical therapy . Can I file an UM claim since I am not at fault for the accident ?

1. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

9

Answered . Sure. If the pedestrian was not insured and you were hurt.

2. David H. Burns

Pro

8

Answered . If the pedestrian's negligence caused the collision and the pedestrian was uninsured or underinsured, then you can make a UM claim. You should get a free consultation from a highly qualified Florida personal injury attorney so that the attorney can explain how UM claims work.

3. Kathryn Elizabeth Lee

7

Answered . Probably not. I would suggest having an attorney review your UM policy. UM generally only provides coverage when you are injured through the fault of an uninsured or under-insured motorist, not pedestrians. Your policy may provide broader coverage, and it can't hurt to check.

No attorney-client relationship is intended by this answer.
  4. Kevin Coluccio

6

Answered . I would think so. Contact a personal injury attorney in Lake Worth.

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

Answered . How did your injury occur?

Pro

5

Answered . Depends on your policy really. Have a local lawyer review it.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  7. Sagi Shaked

Pro

3

Answered . Short answer is yes.

8. John Michael Phillips

3

Answered . Yes. And it might be a good case. Even pedestrians can't put you in harms' way. There are three aspects to every case- liability (which means "fault" which is fairly clear as you indicate), causation (which means you suffered new or worsened injuries) and damages which range from medical bills to the inconvenience caused. We are happy to help.

I am rated one of the top trial lawyers in Florida. Feel free to check out our website- www.knowthelawyer.com. Our number is 800-6-know-law and I can be emailed at jmp@knowthelawyer.com and will talk to you this weekend. Either way, good luck. Insurance carriers are making it tougher each day and victimizing victims more and more.

9. Scott Michael McPherson

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, you can. The key is whether or not your injuries stem from the use, operation or maintenance of your motor vehicle (not whether the pedestrian was operating a motor vehicle). It's FL Statute 627.727, and I have litigated this issue extensively, even taking it up to the appellate court on one occasion.