Can i file a pro se divorce even if i'm unemployed or can't pay the filing fee?

Asked over 4 years ago - Groton, CT

I have been separated from my husband for almost two years now but would like to file for divorce, but currently unemployed and won't be able to pay the divorce filing fee and do it myself.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James C Wing JR


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Here is a Connecticut attorney's advice. Go to the nearest Superior Court with a Court Services Office, I think New London has one. There (or on line) you will find a brochure for self represented parties that has information about the divorce process. You will need to prepare a summons and complaint for divorce and complete a fee waiver application. You may be able to have the court entry fee and the marshal's fee for service waived. Here is a link to the fee waiver form:

    Being a self represented party is like taking a do it yourself approach to a complicated home improvement project. It is hard work, most people cannot achieve as good a result without a professional, but it can get you divorced. Good luck.

    Your question may not be a complete or accurate description of the problem. My answer is not legal advice. No client/attorney relationship exists by virtue of this answer. Laws are different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and frequently change. Do not act on any information provided without consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who has experience with the kind of issues that concern you.

  2. Richard C Koman

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You can get a fee waiver if your income is low enough. In some states if there is domestic violence the fee is automatically waived.

  3. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should contact the court clerk in your county to see about poor person's status and fee waivers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,654 answers this week

3,232 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,654 answers this week

3,232 attorneys answering