Can I file a police report against possible false accusation of stalking

Asked over 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

I am worried a neighbor woman elder to me might file a false stalking report.

She sent me an email saying that I am stalking her...she is kinda jerk/crazy...
so am worried she might actually accuse me for stalking...

Is it wise to file a police report against false accusation...(she gave me in writing that am stalking her)
also is it better for me legal point of view if I file a proactive police report that she might file a false stalking charge?

1. James J White

Pro

3

Answered . I am not sure what you should do. I need more info. Consult with an attorney.
    At your service,

2. Vitaliy Kertchen

3

Answered . I'd love to tell you that if the accusations are false, you won't be charged. However, that's simply not the case. Cops often do very lop-sided investigations that end up in innocent people getting charged. You should do whatever you need to proactively to protect yourself. If you feel filing a report is necessary, then it probably wouldn't hurt to do so. Try doing it as passively as possible, such as filing it online or making a written statement and dropping it off at the police station. That way, you're not needlessly tying up police resources.

If she's making any specific allegations of your actions, keep records and proof of any alibis you may have. If you end up being contacted by the police about this, decline to make any statements and consult immediately with a lawyer. A lawyer will be able to communicate with the police in a way that will protect you.

3. Carmine John Giardino

2

Answered . If you don't already have a lawyer, hire one to help you. The law is complex and there may be things that can be done that you didn't know about. Good luck!

4. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . You need to keep her email, keep a diary of dates, times, events, etc. in the event you are charged in the future. If concerned, consult with a criminal defense attorney to advise you.