Can I file a police report 7 days after the fact?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

I was hit by a car while riding my bike last week, the car drove away but the cops were called. When my riding partner described the situation they informed him that there was nothing they could do, asked him if i needed an ambulence (i refused because i didn't have insurance) and then drove away. They never got out of the car. The next day i had to go to the hospital because i could not walk, and when informing the staff i was hit by a car on my bike they wrote "bike accident". Now i have no money to pay my medical bills and i haven't been able to go to work. Shouldn't this be covered under no-fault?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . It is only covered under no-fault if you have an auto policy or you know who the hit you and can make a claim on his/her policy. If neither apply you can file a claim with MVIAC, a quadi state agency that provides benefits to victims of hit and run. They require you notify the police within 24 hours so hopefully you got the name of the police officer who responded or can at least show a phone record of the call.

Pro

2

Answered . Eric laid it out well

3. Sherry Narda Sarbofsky

Answered . New York law states that no-fault benefits do not apply to motorcycles. That is your insurance company will not pay for your medical bills, loss wages, etc. However, you may recoup these costs against the offending vehicle.