Can I file a personal injury claim if I and the other driver already have insurance?

My family and I were hit by a driver in our car, and both parties have insurance. Is it possible for me to also file a personal injury claim? .

Casper, WY -

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Jose, CA

Just because there is insurance that doesnt mean you will be treated fairly. Ins representatives are trained to get info from you, and to try to pay out as little as possible to settle any claims. Id advise you to get to a local personal injury atty asap, and at least get a free consultation. making a mistake early on can come back later to hurt your case.

Steve Eliot Sanderfer

Steve Eliot Sanderfer

Personal Injury Lawyer - Richardson, TX

The short answer is: Yes.

If you were injured, get to a doctor. Then, you will want those bills paid. Insurance companies are not your friends. They are not looking out for your best interests. It might be best to seek legal advice to make sure you are treated fairly.