Can I file a personal injury claim if I and the other driver already have insurance?

Asked over 2 years ago - Casper, WY

My family and I were hit by a driver in our car, and both parties have insurance. Is it possible for me to also file a personal injury claim?


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

  2. Robert Bruce Kopelson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Just because there is insurance that doesnt mean you will be treated fairly. Ins representatives are trained to get info from you, and to try to pay out as little as possible to settle any claims. Id advise you to get to a local personal injury atty asap, and at least get a free consultation. making a mistake early on can come back later to hurt your case.

  3. Steve Eliot Sanderfer

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The short answer is: Yes.

    If you were injured, get to a doctor. Then, you will want those bills paid. Insurance companies are not your friends. They are not looking out for your best interests. It might be best to seek legal advice to make sure you are treated fairly.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,355 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,355 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering