Can I file a motion to waive 14 years of back child support that accumalated while incarcerated

Asked over 1 year ago - Johnstown, PA

Was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison, simatnously divorced and was ordered to pay child support for 2 children. Upon my release from prison 14 years later, I'm being ordered to pay current child support and arrears from the 14 years i was incarcerted. Current child support I understand and in accord. I dont agree with 14 years of back child support. Can I have 14 years of arrears waived due to being incarcereted??? ($20k plus)

1. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

Answered . Rather than seeking waiver, you might have better luck seeking modification of the amount owed due to the decrease in income while in prison.

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Individuals and Families in Pennsylvania & New Jersey

223 North Monroe St.
    Media, PA 19063
    877-992-6311
    www.crawfordlaw.org

2. Randi Joy Silverman

Answered . Support arrears will accrue while a parent is incarcerated. Once released, the arrears are due and owing. However, the amount of the payments may be modifiable based upon your current earnings/earning potential.