Skip to main content

Can I file a motion for summary judgement in a custody case?

Raleigh, NC |

My ex is trying to modify custody without any substantial changes in circumstance. Would it be smart to file a motion for summary judgement so I can avoid wasting my time and money in court in hopes the judge will throw the case out because of no substantial changes in circumstances?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Generally motions for summary judgment are not used in child custody cases. The judge has a duty to hear the case and make a decision that is in the best interest of the child. The better approach is to wait until the completion of the movant's motion and move to dismiss the motion for failure to prove a change of circumstances.

    The author of this opinion is licensed only in the states of NC, SC and TN.

  2. Attrney Kelso gave you a great answer, the goal of the family court is to uncover the truth and make sure the best interest of the child/chidren is being served, a summary judgment could preclude important evidence, perhpas a motion to dismiss is best. take care

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics