Can I file a motion for non-disclosure for misdemeanor theft if I got time served? (Houston Harris County)

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

In 2009, I got arrested for misdemeanor theft (500-1500). I was in jail for four days, then went to court, plead guilty and got time served. Is it possible to do something about my record so I can apply for jobs again? I don't think I qualify for an expungement; can a file a motion for non-disclosure? Or will that not work either because I spent time in jail? Thank you

Additional information

If I don't qualify for non-disclosure, is there something else I can do? Thank you

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen Andrew Hamer

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No expungement. Also, unfortunately I don't think non-disclosure is option. To be eligible for non-disclosure you would've had to successfully complete deferred adjudication, and then have your case dismissed.

    BEST ANSWER I got.... and I HOPE I WAS HELPFUL!! My answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship.... more
  2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A case that ends with a jail sentence on a class B or higher criminal case...which you seem to have not expungeable unless the defendant gets pardoned.

    An order of non-disclosure is something that can be applied for following most deferred adjudication probations, but not after jail sentences.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,583 answers this week

3,175 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,583 answers this week

3,175 attorneys answering