Can i file a libel lawsuit against INTERNET websites claiming me to be a rapist ? i am not , but the claim i am .

Chillicothe, OH |
Filed under: Internet law

several websites have me as being a rapist and i am not

This is America and you can sue anybody, anywhere, anytime for anything. However, the cost of a lawsuit is usually the stopping point. Legal fees can easily be $50 to $100k for this sort of suit.

You did not say, but are these websites related to mugshots.com? There are quite a few threads on this forum from this month about their posts which you can read. Perhaps they will give you some idea on the direction your actions should take.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

no i have never bin to that website, but on roughly like 5 websites it says i raped someone

Andrew Mark Jaffe

Andrew Mark Jaffe

I still suggest you read the mugshot threads. It will answer a lot of questions you have not even thought of yet.

You should not post anything online about this matter, nor should you speak about it with anyone who is not your lawyer.

I have dealt with Internet-related torts; my firm's website can be visited at www.francelawgroup.net.

No attorney-client relationship is established via AVVO.com. The material posted by Kyle J. Bristow, Esq., is for educational purposes for prospective clients only and people should not make legal decisions based on it. You are advised not to take, or refrain from taking, any action based on what Mr. Bristow has stated on this website.

It depends on the structure of the website since many are exempt from lawsuits. Speak to an attorney who provides free consultation. I don't see many taking such a matter under contingency so be prepared for a quoted fee.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Internet law topics