Can i file a libel lawsuit against INTERNET websites claiming me to be a rapist ? i am not , but the claim i am .

Asked over 1 year ago - Chillicothe, OH

several websites have me as being a rapist and i am not

1. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

3

Answered . This is America and you can sue anybody, anywhere, anytime for anything. However, the cost of a lawsuit is usually the stopping point. Legal fees can easily be $50 to $100k for this sort of suit.

You did not say, but are these websites related to mugshots.com? There are quite a few threads on this forum from this month about their posts which you can read. Perhaps they will give you some idea on the direction your actions should take.

2. Kyle J Bristow

2

Answered . You should not post anything online about this matter, nor should you speak about it with anyone who is not your lawyer.

I have dealt with Internet-related torts; my firm's website can be visited at www.francelawgroup.net.

3. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

1

Answered . It depends on the structure of the website since many are exempt from lawsuits. Speak to an attorney who provides free consultation. I don't see many taking such a matter under contingency so be prepared for a quoted fee.