Can i file a lawsuite for being pulled over for no reason

Asked over 1 year ago - Collierville, TN

I got pulled over by the police for no reason all because I had got lost on the way home and was tring to find a street to turn around on

Attorney answers (3)

  1. William Kevin Hodges

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I are with Mr. Sauer. However, the officer only needs "mere suspicion" that a crime may be committed to stop you. I can almost bet that the officer would testify that due to the way you were driving that he believed you to be suspicious or lost so he was "investigating" what was going on. Tough to overcome.

    "Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided... more
  2. Stephen Alan Sauer

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sure you can sue the officer and the city that employs the officer. But of course, you will have to prove damages you suffered as a result of being pulled over. Did you lose income, suffer personal injury, or suffer public embarrassment from all the people that saw you get pulled over? And if so, have you sought medical treatment for those injuries or psychological damage. If the answer is no to those questions then it's likely not worth pursuing as you will almost certainly spend more time and money filing the suit and taking depositions of the officers and city employees than you will ever recover back. I'd say it's highly unlikely you will find a lawyer willing to take the case for you unless you advance some serious money up front to cover the attorney's time and expenses. Regardless, if you do choose to proceed further, you have to either settle your claim with the city or file suit within one year of being pulled over. If you wait beyond a year your claim will likely be barred by the Statute of Limitations.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this... more
  3. Edwin Arnold Anderson


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can sue, but I don't think you'll win on these facts.

    If you would like a consultation, call (865) 522-9000 to make an appointment. The information you obtain at... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,112 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,112 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering