Can i file a lawsuite for being pulled over for no reason

Collierville, TN |

I got pulled over by the police for no reason all because I had got lost on the way home and was tring to find a street to turn around on

1. Sure you can sue the officer and the city that employs the officer. But of course, you will have to prove damages you suffered as a result of being pulled over. Did you lose income, suffer personal injury, or suffer public embarrassment from all the people that saw you get pulled over? And if so, have you sought medical treatment for those injuries or psychological damage. If the answer is no to those questions then it's likely not worth pursuing as you will almost certainly spend more time and money filing the suit and taking depositions of the officers and city employees than you will ever recover back. I'd say it's highly unlikely you will find a lawyer willing to take the case for you unless you advance some serious money up front to cover the attorney's time and expenses. Regardless, if you do choose to proceed further, you have to either settle your claim with the city or file suit within one year of being pulled over. If you wait beyond a year your claim will likely be barred by the Statute of Limitations.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

2. I are with Mr. Sauer. However, the officer only needs "mere suspicion" that a crime may be committed to stop you. I can almost bet that the officer would testify that due to the way you were driving that he believed you to be suspicious or lost so he was "investigating" what was going on. Tough to overcome.

"Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

3. You can sue, but I don't think you'll win on these facts.

If you would like a consultation, call (865) 522-9000 to make an appointment. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Traffic tickets topics