Skip to main content

Can I File A Lawsuit Against My Psychiatrist For Prescribing Harmful Medication Making Physical And Mental Symptoms Worse?

Missouri City, TX |

I've been legally blind for 3 years because of a progressive eye disease (keratoconus). I've also had multiple injuries to my left eye. These issues caused me to suffer with anxiety and depression. I started receiving mental care because of these reasons. After I had corneal transplant surgery August 22, 2013, I had an appointment with my psychiatrist August 27, 2013. She prescribed me Zoloft and Clonazepam. Both medications warn people not to take it if they have eye conditions. They both cause vision loss! They counteracted with my healing from eye surgery, causing more problems, vision loss, cloudy vision, floaters, pain, more emotional distress, suicidal thoughts etc. Why in the world would she do this to me? Everything is documented with my ophthalmologist, including my ER visit.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You need to discuss with an experienced medical malpractice/pharmaceutical product liability attorney to determine if you have a viable claim.

  2. Have a local malpractice lawyer investigate

  3. There are too many factors that go into evaluating a medical malpractice claim. Contact a medical malpractice attorney in TX for a free evaluation.

    Any accident and legal information provided by Davis Law Group to non-clients is for general information purposes only. It is not a substitute for legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created or maintained without a signed written agreement between the client and the law firm.

  4. Yes, you can sue her. The Texas constitution guarantees all citizens free access to our courts. This means that anyone can sue anyone, at any time, anywhere, for any reason, for any amount of money and without first proving anything to anyone. However, filing a lawsuit and winning one are two entirely different things.

    I suggest that you consult a Sugar Land or Houston plaintiffs' lawyer who is certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. A link to the Board's website appears below.

    Good luck.

  5. I agree that you should see an experienced malpractice attorney as it sounds like you may have a viable claim.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics