Skip to main content

Can I file a lawsuit against my employer for unfair treatment?

Bellingham, WA |

I was demoted in july because my neice worked for me and I spoke to my brother about her, when word got back to my neice I was instantly demoted and reassigned to a different location. My issue is that my neice felt my boss and I were friends. I have worked for my company for 16 years with no disciplanary issues. my boss is fairly open to discussing disciplanary issues with me about other managers but now I feel he demoted me because Everyone thought we were friends, he is treating me differently than he treats other managers. to top it off my neice was caught openly stealing and cheating and she still has her job. and the man I work for now hasn't lost his job for many things much worse than I have ever even come close to.
do I have any recourse? I took a $20,000 year cut in pay.

the guy i work for now told a employee I Terminated for misconduct that I was demoted and It came out in an unemployment apeal hearing and it was confidental information but My boss took no disciplanary action against the guy i work for now, How is this any different that what I did?

Attorney Answers 2


You will need to review the facts and company policies with an employment lawyer, but if you were "at will" I think you will have an uphill battle.

Good Luck

Mark as helpful


If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer. Gender, age, religious belief, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Mark as helpful