Can I file a lawsuit against a pharmacy for release of medications to a third party without my consent?

Asked about 1 year ago - Marysville, CA

I told them twice, one time on the phone, and one in person, yet they still gave away my prescription without my knowledge

1. Martha Ann Knutson

1

Answered . I agree with the other counsel - it's hard to determine what the damage is here. You put on a tag labeled "HIPAA Rights", but there is no right of action / right to bring a lawsuit for violations of HIPAA, assuming that there was one here. A suit based on any other theory would require you to prove damages.

What you can do if you believe that there was a HIPAA violation is file a complaint with the federal Office for Civil Rights , which enforces the law. I am including a link below to more information about how to do that. Generally this must be done within 180 days of the event. If OCR agrees that there was a violation they will investigate and obtain corrective action from the pharmacy so that this doesn't happen to you (or anyone else) again.

2. Stephen Scott Pearcy

Answered . We would need more info here. Who was the third party? Was it, for instance, a court-appointed conservator?

3. Neil Pedersen

Answered . It is possible that release of medications to a person who is not authorized by you or by law to act on your behalf could be a violation of certain medical privacy laws. You would have to establish damages sufficient to make such a lawsuit worth the expense. That might be your biggest issue.

Good luck to you.