Can I file a law suit against this school principal?

Alhambra, CA |

I work as a part time playground worker for "Beyond the Bell" an after school program. This past Friday a parent confronted a child regarding him bothering her kid. Today we had a meeting with the principal and I gave my version of what happened and explained that the parent approached the kid in a very aggressive manner up to the point that she made the kid cry. As I was explaining she interrupted me and I responded back. The principal told my supervisor that he found me "aggressive" towards the parent who yelled at the child and has now asked for my removal from the school. So I am being transferred to another school site.

Why would you think that you have a claim against the principal? Someone has to make the judgment about employee performance and that someone, at least in this instance, is the principal.

If you are represented by a union, you may have rights to challenge the principal's assessment of your performance and the decision for administrative action. Or you may have such rights as a consequence of civil service protection. But if you are, as I suspect, an at will employee, you are subject to transfer or even termination for any reason that is not prohibited by law. Prohibited reasons would include bias against you for reasons such as race, religion, etc., but not for disapproval of your job performance or conduct.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

I believe that I have a claim against him because I was defending a kid who was confronted in an aggressive manner by a parent regarding a fight that this boy had with another child and the principal decided to transfer me. When it was the parent who was aggressive towards me.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

What matters is whether the principal's actions toward you cause you damage. Does the reassignment cause you a loss of salary or benefits or any other kind of actual loss or damage? Your theory of liability isn't connected to the purpose of lawsuits which is to make people whole when they have been injured or their interests have been diminished.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you Dr. McCall your feedback was very help full!

Education law topics