Can I file a Homestead Declaration even though my home is held by a community property trust with my wife?

My wife and I bought a primary residence home last year. We formed a community property living trust and transferred the property to the trust. I'd like to protect the equity by filing a homestead declaration, but I am not sure whether I am allowed to do so if the property is held by our living trust?

Oakland, CA -

Samuel G Lockhart

Samuel G Lockhart

Real Estate Attorney - Murrieta, CA

Yes, you can record a homestead declaration. I am assuming you set up a Revocable Living Trust with you and your wife as Trustees of the Trust. If so, your trust is not a separate entity. Thus, for all intents and purposes, you are the owner of your home.

Chi Leung Ip

Chi Leung Ip

Real Estate Attorney - El Monte, CA

If what you have is a living trust (not an irreversible trust) and you live there as your primary home, you can file your homestead declaration. Edward C. Ip www.lawyer4property.com

Eric Jerome Gold

Eric Jerome Gold

Estate Planning Attorney - Calabasas, CA

So long as your community property trust is a revocable living trust (not an irrevocable trust), you should be able to file the Homestead Declaration.