Can I file a harassment order against someone in another state?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oroville, WA

Child Protective Services has recently been called on my dad and step mom in South Bend , Indiana . My step mom came up with the conclusion that my mother called them reporting the problems . My step mom is now harassing and threatening my mom through my younger sister via text messaging , as well as harassing her . Is it possible to file a harassment order to get her to leave my family alone ? Or should I be filing a complaint with Child Protective Services because they don't tell you who files the complaints that lead people to point fingers at other innocent families ?

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

1

Answered . "should I be filing a complaint with Child Protective Services because they don't tell you who files the complaints that lead people to point fingers at other innocent families ?"

You can file a complaint. However, you should not expect the complaint to go very far. The government encourages people to report suspected child abuse. If the reporter does not want his/her identity known, the government is not going to release the identity. There is in fact no requirement that the reporter identifies himself/herself when contacting CPS. As long as the reporter provides details that suggests to CPS that an investigation is needed, CPS will investigate.

2. Peter Jaret Abbarno

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the previous responses. In addition, you may seek an anti-harassment order against an out of state resident. There will be some issues of jurisdiction; however, the contact with you in the State of Washington should satisfy the court. Your obstacle will be proving the contacts via text messages came from your step-mother.

3. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

Answered . Talk to law enforcement to see about Telephone Harassment elements?