Can I file a declaration for my upcoming child support modification hearing? If so, what can I put in it? In Clark Co. WA

Vancouver, WA |

I used the space at the end of the worksheets to list additional information as to why I am asking the court to change the amount of support, but I have information I would like to submit that I did not feel was right to put there. When my support amount was set through the state my ex said that she did not live with me for several months that she actually did and I supported her and our child. I did not know this at the time. A few months later in our divorce she submitted paperwork saying they did in fact live with me. Can I submit copies of both of these conflicting statements by her as a reason to lower support? I owe money to "back child support" that I clearly should not. Can I submit a declaration showing proof that she lied to the state in an attempt to collect more money from me?

Sounds like you really need an attorney to help you with this. Most of what you want the court to consider should be put in a sworn declaration, filed with the clerk, and served on the opposing party or attorney. The rules on doing this are different in each county. If you don't do it right, the court can ignore your filing. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child support and court procedure for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

I agree with the previous response. You should consult with an attorney. There are issues of modification based on current and future resources and there are issues of modification based on fraud to the court and DSHS for past support.

Peter J. Abbarno practices in the State of Washington; primarily in Thurston, Lewis, and Cowlitz counties. The response is limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. No response to any posted inquiry shall constitute legal advice, nor the existence of an attorney/client relationship. www.centralialaw.com