Can I file a claim for caregiver fees on an Estate?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

I was the sole caregiver to my fiancé who I only found out when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer that he was married with 8 kids by 2 different mothers, we have been together for 13 yrs. I took an absence of leave the last 6 months of his life, he was home hospice and I were is day and night nurse, since he refused to have the nurses bathe ,clean him or even changed his diapers and dressings. I lost my health insurance due to my absence and even lost my job. Please advised.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kelly Scott Davis


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In order to have a successful claim against the estate you will probably need to have had a written care agreement in place, otherwise the heirs can claim you acted out of love and affection. You need to make an appointment and consult with a probate attorney.

  2. Celia R Reed

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Davis. You need proof that you had an agreement for caregiver services in order to have a valid claim against the estate.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more
  3. Kari Dawn Coultis


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorneys Davis and Reed and recommend that you consult with a local probate attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,343 answers this week

2,696 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,343 answers this week

2,696 attorneys answering