Can I file a claim against my attorneys errors and omissions policy?

Asked about 3 years ago - Inverness, FL

I filed a claim against my Property Title Insurer through an attorney. Four months later the Title Company admitted partial exposure and offered a settlement. My attorney waited another month before she sent me the settlement offer. I countered the offer to settle and the Title Insurer asked for more information. I provided it to my attorney with a few weeks of the request. Several more months went by and I told my attorney to either send the information to the Title Company or I would take over my claim. She finally sent it to them and it has now been 8 months since they offered to settle. Now they are looking into ways to reduce their payment including Real Estate Appraisal. It has been a full year since I first filed a claim.

1. Daniel J. Rose

Answered . If you are going to sue a lawyer for malpractice there are certain elements that need to be met. In this case, you are negotiating a settlement and the fact time has lapsed I am sure there is a justifiable excuse.

2. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

Answered . My colleague is correct--there may be reasons for the delays that fall far short of legal malpractice.