Can I file a claim against Charter Communications for false advertising? Is it only worth it if it is a class action?

Asked about 1 year ago - Athens, GA

1. In August, I bought Charter internet for $30.00 a month. On the internet, they advertised a cable, internet bundle for $80, but I decided against it
2. In October, I received a phone call soliciting me for the $80 cable and internet bundle. I decided to get cable at this rate and subsequently had it installed. I confirmed with the representative multiple times that the rate would be $80
3. Today, I look at my bank account to find that they are instead charging me $98 a month w/o taxes. I called customer service and they hung up on me the 1st time. The 2nd time they call me a lier, but their supervisor suspiciously tells them to lower my rate to $90 w/o taxes. I searched the web and there are countless other stories of this bait and switch tactic. I still get mail ads for the $80 bundle

Would there be an arbitration clause in whatever contract I signed if any? I have no recollection of signing anything other than acknowledgment of installation.

If there is no arbitration clause, what about punitive damages? This company-wide policy of fraud cannot go unpunished.

1. Marcus G. Keegan

Pro

1

Answered . It is difficult to answer your question without knowing what you signed and the specifics of the service you agreed to. If you still have the paperwork you signed the first step would be to review that material which may contain the answers to some of your questions. Without it, it would be very difficult to advise you on this issue. Though you CAN file a lawsuit if you believe fraud is at play, the issue here is that you may have very limited damages that make it not worth your while or worth an attorney's while to proceed. If after reviewing your material you feel that you wish the discuss the matter further, find an attorney who practices plaintiff's consumer law and he or she may be able to assist you further.

2. Donald E. Haviland Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Cases like this unfortunately only can proceed as class actions, due to the low damages: in your case, between $10-$18 per month. We would need to examine the documents you signed, and the solicitation(s) you received, to understand (1) whether you have a viable case for consumer fraud, and (2) what venue such case could proceed in, ie court or arbitration. Feel free to give us a call, and we will try to assist you