Skip to main content

Can I file a claim against a hospital?

West Islip, NY |

On August 31, 2008 I gave birth to my first child. I attempted natural child birth, but due to circumstances I ended up with a caesarian. The epidural I was given apparently went up into my chest and I began to panic as I felt as though I could not breath and without being monitored, I was told I was fine. The entire procedure seemed much too chaotic. I stayed the allocated 4 day stay. And during this stay, I showered with the help of my husband. The only wound care was the on call Dr. stopping by to look at my incision and see how I was feeling. I went home and 2 days later I was rushed to the hospital with a 104 fever due to a severe infection in my abdomen. I feel as though I did not receive the proper attention to my wound. Leaving my newborn was very traumatic.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


As a lawyer who does medical malpractices the question I would have is whether you have suffered any long term effects from the infection. Although I can imagine how traumatic is was for you to be away from you newborn to deal with the infection, if you have healed and have no long term effect (hopefully that is the case) the cost of pursuing a case would greater than the potential recover. If you think you have some significant ongoing damages, then I suggest you contact a lawyer who regularly handles medical malpractice cases. Good luck.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer