Skip to main content

Can I file a civil suit against my ex-wife for continually violating the custody agreement and for ruining mt relationship w

Virginia Beach, VA |

with my 2 sons

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There is no civil cause of action that would allow you to recover damages for a person violating the custody order. You can file a rule to show cause and ask the court to find her in contempt for violating the order, and ask the court to "coerce" her into complying with the order.

AS for the desire to file an action for ruining your relationship with your sons, you can consult with a civil attorney to see if there might be a cause of action for that, though I would tend to doubt that or else I imagine the courts would be jammed with such claims as a by-product of many divorce actions.


The vehicle for this type of releif is called a rule to show cause. If there are items in a court order that are violated by the other parent then the violating parent can be brought before the court and the contempt of court powers invoked to enforce the court order. In some cases the court can make significant changes to the custody arrangement because of extreme or frequent violations.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer