Can I file a civil suit against my ex husband?

Fairfax, VA |

I just discovered my ex hadn't finalized his divorce to previous wife until 2000 in MD. We were married in 1993 in Va and divorced in 2007.
1. How were we able to obtain a marriage license if he was still married?
2. Was our marriage even valid?
3. Our divorce was a financial hardship for me, as it was very expensive.(I was the plaintiff)
I'm not sure what do do with this information, and where to go from here

Thank you so much for your help!

1. You should consult a local family law attorney right regarding this issue. Based on these limited facts, it seems likely you were never married.

For more information on me, go to www.kevinpettrey.com. Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, please mark it as helpful or "best answer" so that the attorneys who volunteer their time to answer these questions have feedback. This answer is only for informational purposes, is not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and must be judged on its own unique facts.