Can I file a bar complaint against a public defender?

Asked over 1 year ago - Conyers, GA

I have an attorney whose an pd and does not return ANY of my calls.

1. John Arnold Steakley

2

Answered . Let me get this straight: you are getting a FREE lawyer, paid by taxpayers, who probably has 2-3 times the caseload of an attorney in private practice and you want to tarnish his record because he won't return your calls? Have you considered that he's not returning you calls because he has nothing new to tell you on your case, or that he is busy with one of his many other clients who also aren't paying him? Complaining about him won't get you the level of free service you feel entitled to. And besides, he gets paid the same whether or not he calls you back.

Rather, you should hire a lawyer of your own choosing and pay him by the hour. That way, if he doesn't give you the attention you want, he doesn't get paid.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Yes you can. While I know PDs are overworked, they are subject to the same rules as any lawyer. They should return calls.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . You really want your PD ticked off at you? Take a deep breadth before you put him/her on report . Remember the old song about tugging on Supermans cape '...you don't spit into the wind...'