Can I fight paying a bad check from 4 years ago that I'm sure I paid but can't find my receipt?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fairmont, WV

I received notice on 5/30/12 that I owe a bad check from 10/2008. I've tried to contact the law office that mailed me the letter to discuss but they have not returned my call. Is there anything I can do to avoid paying for this check again?

1. Adrian M. Lapas

Answered . First, you should contact a local attorney well versed in Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) cases.

From this very brief description, it sounds as if they are just demanding payment and you should write the law firm disputing the validity of the debt and assert that you paid the debt.

Some states (my state (NC) for example) treat worthless checks as a crime. But, there is a two year statute of limitations on filing a criminal complaint. Similarly, there may be a civil statute of limitations as well.