Can I fight my own misdemeanor(disorderly conduct) case? I had bad experience with public defenders (For my husband).

Saint Petersburg, FL |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I am a federal employee with 8 years of college with 3 degrees and working on going to medical school. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs. I successfully raised two kids -one in Wake forest pursuing Law and second is going to Emory univ. I take care of a very sick (Bipolar and physical problems)husband. I call police a lot whenever he acts up. The police department are always nasty with me. This time, they beat my husband up and me too. I had a neck surgery few days ago and did not say anything to these officers. One of them snatched the phone out of my hand, hit me, arrested me for calling his boss. I have some really good proofs against the police officers. But I cannot afford a lawyer as I am hurt with 6 herniated discs and out of work and my husband is in state mental hospital for 6 mo.

This sounds like a possible police brutality / false arrest claim. But without seeing the actual discovery that is a guess at best.

http://www.defendme.net | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

2. I would never suggest for anyone represent themselves in a criminal case. Attorneys don't represent themselves, which should tell you something. If you can afford to hire a private attorney, that would be a smart choice.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

3. I agree with my colleague. Even attorneys do not represent themselves in civil cases - it is said that if you represent yourself, you have a fool for a client. You need legal representation - whether a Public Defender or a private attorney.