Can I fight citations issued for toll violations without the proper notification of a court date in Florida?

Asked about 1 year ago - Port Saint Lucie, FL

I went to renew my license online and found my license has been suspended because I have 3 outstanding citations for toll violations. I had no idea and apparently it has been suspended for the last 7 months. I would think the court would need to send something advising me of that. I wasn't even given a chance to appear and they tacked on fees and such and now each citation (3) have payments of over $250! I am so upset that I could spit! How can they get away with this? Is there something I can do to fight this and have my license reinstated. I got no notification .... if I had gotten something notifying me of all of this I would have taken care of it right away. Wouldn't they need some proof, like return receipt requested to prove they issued notification. This is wrong!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Sergio Cruz

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You may be able to get them back from collections and in front of a judge/hearing officer. You or your attorney (highly advisable) will have to file a motion to set aside, recall from collections and request a hearing. Depending on the jurisdiction (which is why I highly recommend an attorney) you may be able to just allege not having been notified and they will bring it back from collections and give you a hearing on the toll violations.

    Once they give you a hearing date, the clerk will give you a D6 clearance for the DMV which allows you to reinstate your license. The DMV is less forgiving about notice and more than likely you will have to pay a $60 fee to have your license reinstated.

    This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,510 answers this week

3,175 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,510 answers this week

3,175 attorneys answering