Skip to main content

Can i fight and win a ticket for making an improper u turn and a ticket for crossing a double line in Bklyn, NY residential area

Brooklyn, NY |

I received 2 tickets at one time.An improper u turn and for crossing a double yellow rec. in Brooklyn NY. I was parked at the corner of 56th and Farragut rd. I started to pull out of the parking spot to go straight and noticed a police car was making a right turn onto 56th in my mirror. I stopped let him pass and pulled out of the spot.I drove straight about a car or two in front of me and than made a broken u turn from the left side of road. The cop car was 20-30 feet away from me at this point. As i was making the broken u turn no cars was coming in either direction light was red at the time.After completing the broken u turn I waited at the red light.There are no lines on the street on 56th i have picturesThere are no signs on the street saying no u turn residential area

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    This is a gross over reaching by the cop he essentially gave you 2 tickets for the same occurrence in violation of NYS and Federal Constitutional protections. While there is no plea bargaining in NYC, I would certainly move to dismiss at trial as the Constitution still applies. You need to retain counsel and forget about your photo evidence because their does not need to be a posting - your defense lies in the law not in the facts. Don't go it alone retain counsel - it will save you money in time and insurance increases if you spend some up front on counsel that specializes in traffic ticket defense.

  2. Yes, you can certainly fight these two 2-point tickets. In NYC, however, there are no deals or plea bargains in your court -- Traffic Violations Bureau. Therefore, to win one or both, you'll need to have a hearing before an administrative law judge.

    I wrote an article that should help. See below.

    Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

    Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.

  3. It will be difficult but you show up and try or hire an attorney to do so for you. It's at least 4 points and a few $100 in fines.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  4. Certainly you should fight the tickets. hire a lawyer and your chances of winning these violations will be much better

  5. There is no plea bargaining in the city, it is win or lose, all or nothing.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics