Can I face deportation because of my recent DUI charge received in CA state, I have no prior criminal record

Hayward, CA |

hellO i recently got a DUI. IN HAYWARD CALIFORNIA. AND MY QUESTION IS WILL I HAVE SOME PROBLEMS WITH IMIGRATION. I AM MEXICAN AND I HAVE BEEN A LEGAL RECIDENT FOR 5 YEARS WITH NO CRIMINAL RECORD OR ANY OTHER .THIS IS MY FIRST DUI OFFESNCE

This is a question better posed to an immigration attorney. However, it is my understanding that a simple first time DUI offense is not a deportable offense. You should neverthelss consult with an immigration attorney to confirm this.

A DUI can pose a problem for naturalization since many immigration offices consider it a sign of a lack of good moral character. As far as permanent residency is concerned, if it was an isolated, single incident and there were no injuries, then it will probably not prohibit the issuance of the green card.

So long as this is a simple first offense, the only thing you'll find is that you cannot apply for citizenship until you've completed probation. It is better to fight your DUI case and attempt to keep it off your record.

Good luck on your case.

j

You cannot be on probation and become a citizen. A Motion to Terminate Probation Early can be brought before the court. I practice in Hayward reguarly.

DUI topics