Can I expunge my record after I got a pardon from the governor in another state?

Asked 8 months ago - Orlando, FL

i am 42 years old, when i was 18 i was charged with a burglary and was convicted, i did my probation and all of that and have lived a law abiding life, a few years ago i was arrested for resisting with was DROPPED. Thats all of my criminal record. And I got a pardon from Illinois for the burlary. Can I expunge my record??

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

6

Answered . You need to speak with a lawyer in Illinois. In Florida convictions cannot be expunged.

2. Gregg R. Brennan

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. DeGroot that you would need to speak with an Illinois attorney regarding the burglary case, however if you are seeking to have the resisting arrest charge expunged you will be able to since you were not convicted of the crime.

3. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

1

Answered . Yours in an interesting and novel situation. Unfortunately I cannot give you a solid answer as the decision as to whether or not to "permit" (issue a "Certificate of Eligibility") sealing / expunction is entirely up to FDLE.

That said, if I were you I would contact them and ask them directly BEFORE you go through the application process (and expense). Note that if you follow the rule of the 3 "p"'s (be patient, pleasant and polite) you will be surprised at just how knowledgeable and helpful they can be. For your convenience a link to their website (and contact info) follows:

Please see: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/getdoc/c83d...

I hope that I have been helpful to you.

4. Peter Leo-George Tragos

Pro

Answered . In Florida, a pardon does not qualify you for a sealing or expunction. However, you should consult with an Illinois attorney for that specific state's law.