Can I expunge my record after I got a pardon from the governor in another state?

Orlando, FL |

i am 42 years old, when i was 18 i was charged with a burglary and was convicted, i did my probation and all of that and have lived a law abiding life, a few years ago i was arrested for resisting with was DROPPED. Thats all of my criminal record. And I got a pardon from Illinois for the burlary. Can I expunge my record??

1. You need to speak with a lawyer in Illinois. In Florida convictions cannot be expunged.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

2. I agree with Mr. DeGroot that you would need to speak with an Illinois attorney regarding the burglary case, however if you are seeking to have the resisting arrest charge expunged you will be able to since you were not convicted of the crime.

An attorney-client relationship is NOT created by the answering of this question. If you would like to discuss your matter more fully with my office, please contact me to set up an initial consultation.

3. Yours in an interesting and novel situation. Unfortunately I cannot give you a solid answer as the decision as to whether or not to "permit" (issue a "Certificate of Eligibility") sealing / expunction is entirely up to FDLE.

That said, if I were you I would contact them and ask them directly BEFORE you go through the application process (and expense). Note that if you follow the rule of the 3 "p"'s (be patient, pleasant and polite) you will be surprised at just how knowledgeable and helpful they can be. For your convenience a link to their website (and contact info) follows:

Please see: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/getdoc/c83dd888-ef7a-448e-9a96-ba69fc4181f7/Seal-and-Expunge-Home.aspx

I hope that I have been helpful to you.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

4. In Florida, a pardon does not qualify you for a sealing or expunction. However, you should consult with an Illinois attorney for that specific state's law.