Can I exclude my son-in-law from inheritance?

Chatham, NY |

I live in NY state and am remarried with two adult children from a first marriage, I wish to exclude my son-in-law from will entirely. I know in practicality this is difficult but is there a way to legallly do this.

There is no requirement to include your son-in-law in your will. You may exclude anyone you wish. Your spouse is the only person that has some protections against disinheritance under New York law. Consult with an attorney to include the proper language in your will.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship has been formed. Before choosing a course of action, it is always advisable to seek the advice of an attorney in your area.

Your son in law is not a distributee (heir) of yours and has no right to your estate. You do not have to provide for him or even make mention of him in your Will.

The only person is your spouse. you're not obligated to leave anything to anyone, including your children.

Not only can you cut out your son-in-law, he does not even have the right to challenge your will.

Wills and estates topics