Can I ever get a concealed handgun license in Texas

Midlothian, TX |

I do have a felony record, completed parole years ago and have been clean and sober for almost 10 years participating in 12 step programs. I know someone that was convicted of very violent crime and somehow he got help to get a pardon or something and it allowed him to become a parole officer. So I know the possibility exists to allow people who have truly changed their lives to have the ability to obtain those things that are lost due to convictions.

The short answer is, if you have a felony conviction then you are not eligible to have a concealed handgun license in Texas. If you are able to get your felony pardoned and expunged then you may apply based on the fact that you technically no longer have a felony on your record. But if you have a felony conviction, you are not eligible.

Here is link on pardons and paroles that may be of interest to you.

Below is a section of the applicable law on eligibility for Concealed Handgun License.

Texas Government Code
Sec. 411.172. ELIGIBILITY. (a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);
(2) is at least 21 years of age;
(3) has not been convicted of a felony;

Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.