Can I enter the US via B1/B2 before Oct 1 then just change my status there to use the H1B when it's October?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I already have B1/B2 then I got my H1B approved recently. My company was asking me to go sometime on the 3rd Q for a business trip. I was thinking if it is possible to not come out of the US and change the status in the US to use my H1-B visa come October.

I have not gone thru the stamping of the visa on my passport yet as I was just informed that the visa has been granted.

Thanks.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . Sounds like the continuation of the scheme presented in the previous question. Am afraid your scenario will not work,UNLESS your H-1B was approved as a change of status (COS). Highly doubtful, since you were not even present at the time the H-1B petition was filed on your behalf.

2. Anu Gupta

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

Answered . No. You must obtain your H-1B visa from the Embassy, which can be issued up to 10 days prior to October 1, 2013.