Skip to main content

Can i emancipate myself at 17 years old?

Bonfield, IL |
Filed under: Family law

I live with my grandparents because i don't get along with my mom and i want to emancipate my self i have a job and pay for everything myself and i feel i am responsible enough to take care of myself, but i would also be willing to stay with my grandparents

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Here are the pertinent parts of the statute. Judge for yourself whether a judge will adjudicate you emancipated.

    750 ILCS 30/ et. seq.: (Emancipated Minors Act)

    Minor 16 or older who has demonstrated the ability and capacity to manage his own affairs and to live wholly or partially independent of his parents or guardian. No order of complete or partial emancipation may be entered under this Act if there is any objection by the minor, his parents or guardian. A mature minor who has demonstrated the ability and capacity to manage his own affairs must have lived wholly or partially independent of his parents or guardian. All persons named in the petition shall be given written notice.

    Although AVVO indicates describes this ste as one where we provide free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum and it is more accurate to state that the volunteer attorneys provide general answers and guidance. No specifric legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For more specific guidance and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your geogprahic location. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

  2. Although my colleague has given you the legal standard for emancipation, I always ask clients why they want to get emancipated. You have been living with your grandparents, have your own job, and already pay for everything yourself. So, way is emancipation one year early going to do for you in a practical sense?

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

  3. you could have your grandparents become you guardian. depending upon when your birthday is, you may turn 18 while the guardianship or emancipation case is pending and then either would be dismissed as you would no longer be a minor.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics