Skip to main content

Can I drop the charges on my boyfriend in a Domestic Battery case or can I sway the judge for an alternative punishment.

Lenexa, KS |

My boyfriend was arrested for Domestic Violence and now has to appear in front of a judge. He is a good man, former vet, and suffers from PTSD. His incident was caused by tragic news he had received earlier. He is on probation for a battery charge and realized after that situation that he needed help. He already called the VA to set up an appointment before our incident. I wonder if I can sway the judge to sentence him with mandatory mental help rather than jail. Is this possible? What's the best course of action from here?

Attorney Answers 1


Domestic Battery in Johnson County can be very difficult to resolve. The District Attorney's office is very good about listening to victims when they want the case prosecuted vigorously but not very helpful when they want the case dismissed. It will be especially difficult as he is on battery probation. He will need the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney to minimize the adverse results. His attendance at the VA is a very good first step. He needs to follow up with that. He should not discuss the facts with anyone but his lawyer.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics