Can I drop the charges on my boyfriend in a Domestic Battery case or can I sway the judge for an alternative punishment.

Asked over 2 years ago - Lenexa, KS

My boyfriend was arrested for Domestic Violence and now has to appear in front of a judge. He is a good man, former vet, and suffers from PTSD. His incident was caused by tragic news he had received earlier. He is on probation for a battery charge and realized after that situation that he needed help. He already called the VA to set up an appointment before our incident. I wonder if I can sway the judge to sentence him with mandatory mental help rather than jail. Is this possible? What's the best course of action from here?

1. Patrick Michael Lewis

Pro

Answered . Domestic Battery in Johnson County can be very difficult to resolve. The District Attorney's office is very good about listening to victims when they want the case prosecuted vigorously but not very helpful when they want the case dismissed. It will be especially difficult as he is on battery probation. He will need the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney to minimize the adverse results. His attendance at the VA is a very good first step. He needs to follow up with that. He should not discuss the facts with anyone but his lawyer.