Skip to main content

Can I drive with WA drivers license in NY,my NY drivers license is going to be revoked for 6 months?

Babylon, NY |

I got DWI in NY,my license is going to be revoked for 6 months and also they want to put an Interlock device in my car,as I don,'t own any can I am planing not have by NY license for 12 months,I also have WA state drivers license,I understand that I can't drive in state NY,what can happen if the cop pulls me over and I give him WA d.l.,will they find out?Please help.

Attorney Answers 5


No--your privilege to drive will be revoked. The actual license is not the issue. You will be arrested if you are caught driving.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


No. It is your priviledge to drive that will be revoked. You will get arrested if you get caught.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Ask this of your attorney

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


If you relocated to NY, you should have surrendered your WA license after 60 days of being in NY. You cannot have two (2) valid licenses at once. When your NY license is issued, it requires that any other state license be surrendered.

Do not drive. It is a crime until your license is restored. Do not operate any vehicle without an IID. It is a crime until the IID restriction is lifted by the court (usually 6 to 12 months). Do not ask anyone to help you "trick" the IID or let you drive a vehicle without an IID. It is a crime - for both of you.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
Anelli Xavier
269 West Jefferson Street, 2nd Floor
Syracuse, NY 13202

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


If you driving privileges are suspended and you do drive, then you will be charged with a crime. Ask for a restricted license to allow you to drive to and from work.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics