Can I drive someone else's car if I am not on their policy?

Bradenton, FL |

Can I drive someone else's car if I currently do not have a car with insurance and I am NOT on the person's car policy?

PS: I live in Bradenton, Florida. So, if I live with my dad in his house and I am18 years old with a Class E license, and my car currently isn't under anyone's name, therefore does not have insurance, can I still drive my dad's car, or no?

1. I agree with Attorney Costantino that if you have permission to driver someone else's car you may do so. You are considered in that case a "permissive driver" of the vehicle. The owner of the car is then responsible for your negligence in the event you injure someone while driving the vehicle. As for insuring yourself, however, in the event someone hits and injures you while driving the vehicle, the terms of the insurance policy control. If, for instance, you reside in the same household as the owner of the vehicle but are not listed on the policy you will not be covered under the owner's insurance.

I am not seeking to represent you based on the response to this question. The answer given is for general information purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is hereby intended.

2. You can drive any car with the permission of the owner. The owner's insurance would cover you for any negligent acts you involve yourself in. Since you dont have insurance the owner's coverage would apply and if you both dont have insurance, you both are personally responsbile. This all assumes you have a valid State driver's license.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices. Bstein@dcfsz.com, 305 377 1505

3. You can drive his car, and if you were to cause an accident, both your liability and his liability as the owner of the car would be covered under his policy. What you need to watch out for is an exclusion in the policy for a car made regularly available for your use - so if you drive his car everyday, and do t tell the insurance company that you are doing so, they could deny coverage in the event of an accident.
    Also, if you own a car, and if it operable, and you don't have insurance on it, his insurance company could deny PIP no fault benefits to you in any accident - your fault or not.

Small business topics