Can I do something about the unemployment office and there wrongful treatment of claimants?

Asked 7 months ago - Merrimack, NH

I've been collecting unemployment for four weeks with a week waiting, On the sixth week I get a notice saying my last employer said I was fired! Of course this was not true and I told them that I was laid off and gave them a signed document from my employer stating I was laid off plus they told me he responded past his 14 business days they give for a response. After a couple of days I notice my payment was still on hold and when I called them they asked if he went out of business be cause his number no longer worked, I told them he may have as I was laid off due to lack of work so they asked if I had another number so I gave them his cell number. It has a week now and my payment which I need to keep my electric on is still on hold! Can I sue for damages if need be?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Randy Jay Harvey

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You could file a complaint with EEOC. You could also file a written complaint with the employment department. Ask for a form.
    Best of luck!

    NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,868 answers this week

2,630 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,868 answers this week

2,630 attorneys answering