Can I do part time work while on a B1/B2 Visa?

Rochester, NY |

I am here primarily on B2 visa. Can I do part time work?

What about volunteer work that is unpaid? Or an apprenticeship or an on the job training that is unpaid?

1. No. You cannot work while on a visitir's visa. It is a violation a law.

2. Do you have employment authorization? No you cannot work.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. Absolutely not. The B-2 is only to visit and does not permit attendance at school or working. If you wish to work you should explore whether you qualify for any of the working visa options and refrain from working until a proper change of status is approved.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

.

4. Even volunteer work is considered work and is prohibited by the terms of the visitor visa.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

5. You cannot work on a visitor visa.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit www.justinelderlaw.com.