Can I do one of the new waivers for my husband?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I am a US citizen and been married almost 18 years. My husband came to the U.S. in about 1995 or 1996 and then in 1996 or 1997 the neighbor called the police on him for loud music and he got arrested, put on an ICE hold, and deported. He thinks he signed something but never saw a judge and we don't have none of the papers now. He came back a month later and never had any other problems with immigration. Just a couple of tickets that were paid. We have been saving money for years and now we are ready to file for his green card.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Irene Vaisman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . depends on what happened a long time ago when he signed that "something". retain an attorney. I would recommend obtaining his entire immigration file and then a decision can be made as to how to further proceed

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Mark Robert Barr

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . He will not be eligible for the provisional stateside waiver if he was actually deported, or if he was in the country unlawfully for more than a year, from April 1, 1997 to the time he departed.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No. His deportation and return to the US stand in the way.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now