Can I do nothing and walk away

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

My mother died 3 weeks ago and left a mobile home worth $10,000 and bills at $ 22,000 in credit cards No other assets I am her executer and I live in different state and do not have the money for an attorney nor can I miss work. Can I just walk away ? My brother and sister are on will to split the assets of which there ar none. They never went to see her and hardly knew her. I filed the original will with Clark County and that is all I have done

1. Israel Lynda Kunin

4

Answered . My colleagues are absolutely correct. There is no law in Nevada that requires you to open a probate. Often, circumstances are such that the only decision is to walk away. I am sorry for your loss.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . Sorry about your Mom.
    Yes-you can do nothing and walk away.
    It does not appear to be worth the cost and effort
    to start a probate process.

3. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

2

Answered . Administration and Settlement. Probate is one of the ways to pass ownership of estate property to a decedent’s survivors. This is the legal process by which a court validates a decedent’s will and supervises the administration of the estate. The probate estate is the portion of the estate that must go through the probate process before it can be transferred. Certain estate interests, such as living trusts, life insurance policy proceeds not payable to the estate, payable upon death accounts, and property held jointly with rights of survivorship are generally not included in the probate estate.
    Probating an estate requires the appointment of a personal representative to administer the estate. The representative may be called the executor, administrator, or personal representative of the estate if appointed as such in a decedent’s will. If a decedent does not have a valid will (dies intestate), or does not name a personal representative in his or her will, the court will appoint someone to administer the estate, also called an administrator. The court will issue “letters testamentary” or “letters of administration” granting the personal representative authority to administer the estate.
    Until it receives authority from the probate court, the personal representative has no power to dispose of any part of the estate, except to pay reasonable funeral expenses or to take such action as it deems necessary to preserve estate property. Pending formal authorization by the court, the personal representative may take appropriate action to handle family issues and protect estate property.

4. James P. Frederick

3

Answered . I agree with Attorney Pippen. You are under no obligation to act as executor. This sounds like an estate that you may not want to mess with. I do have a suggestion, before you decide to totally give up on this, however. I would at least speak with an attorney in your mother's state of residence. The initial conference is normally free. Many states have allowances and exemptions for small estates like this that take precedence over creditor claims. In Michigan, as much as $50k or more can be sheltered in this way. If you do not need to deal with creditors, there may be enough money involved to make it worth your while.

James Frederick